What segments are
Anytime someone enters their email into your website, Tend creates a contact. But, sometimes, it’s really useful to take a closer look at only certain groups of people.
We call these groups of people, segments. Here a few examples of segments:
- Free Trials – People who signed up for a free trial.
- Contact submissions – People who filled out a contact form.
- Email subscribers – People who signed up to your email list.
- Specific plan/product purchasers – People who signed up for a specific plan or bought a certain product.
- Existing Logins – Existing customers who are logging in.
- Paying customers – People who paid you money.
- Lost customers – People who canceled or haven’t been back to your site in a while.
- Highly interested leads – People who have come back to your site many times or visited your “pricing page”.
Uses for segments
Once you create your segments you can:
- Analyze – See what websites, ads or blog posts are driving that segment.
- Take action – Through our Zapier integration, you can send people customized emails, automatically post a note in your CRM or a thousand other things.
Here is how to create a segment in Tend:
- Click the segment icon > “create segment”.
- Name the segment (ie trials, customers leads)
- Enter the conditions you want a contact automatically added to a segment. Most commonly this is a page or combination of pages that a contact visits. ie. yoursite.com/signup-thank-you or yoursite.com/contact-form.
- Click “save segment”.
Adding a contact to a segment manually
When something happens to a contact offline, you may want to add a contact to Tend manually. For example, if you close a sale over the phone you might want to add that contact to the “customer” segment.
To add a contact to a segment manually:
- Find the contact by searching for their name or email address.
- Click on their name to get their profile page.
- Click “edit segments” and select the segment.
Adding contacts to a segment automatically with Zapier
You can automatically add contacts to segments automatically through our Zapier integration. For example, if someone makes a purchase through Stripe you could add that contact to a “customer” segment automatically.
To add contacts to a segment through Zapier:
- Login in to Zapier.com
- Click this invite link: https://zapier.com/developer/invite/19037/f49f8ac1a486b3c8d3434335ceff00cf/
- Click “Make a Zap”
- Search for and select the application you want to connect Tend to.
- Search for and select Tend.
Filtering reports by segment
All reports can be filtered by a segment. Click the segment dropdown in the upper right corner to filter. Then any report will show only contacts that belong to that segment.