Google recently announced a new URL format for Adwords called “Upgraded URLs” (0 points for naming creativity).
Yes, changes from Google makes everyone nervous but, never fear! This is actually going to be pretty dang useful. Upgraded URLs allow you to:
First, create a Tracking Template URL
1) Go to “Campaigns” > click the campaign you want
2) Click the “Settings” tab
3) Scroll to the bottom an click “Campaign URL options advanced”
4) Where it says “Tracking Template” click “edit” and enter in your URL, which might look something like this:
This takes your landing page URL (the “lpurl” parameter) and appends the campaignid, adgroupid, network, creative and keyword parameters for every ad you create automatically.
5) Click “save”.
Then, you need to upgrade your URLs to Google’s new format. (They are going to automatically do this for everyone later this year)
1) Click the “Ads” tab for the campaign you want to upgrade
2) Select all the ads by clicking the checkbox in the top left hand corner
3) Click “Edit” > “Upgrade destination URLs”
4) Click “Make Changes”
You’re done. Boom.
If you want to learn a little more about URL templates and ValueTrack parameters, here’s Google’s explanation:
Subscribe to our Newsletter